Monday, July 03, 2006

cartoons


Today, I was asked to step into the office of my boss' boss. The reason - they wanted me to have a look at a regular comic strip that goes into another publication to see if I get it. I didn't get it. It had something to do with a woman wanting to add a dispute resolution clause in a contract before saying "I do". Alternative bubble text was then shown to me and then I got it. When you look at a comic strip you don't look at it frame by frame do you? I look at it in its entirety at a glance so that I know what's coming ahead. Maybe that's why I didn't get it the first time because it was shown to me frame by frame. Then I was asked if it was funny. Well, the original one wasn't funny but the second one was. But I pointed out not everyone laughs at the same thing depending on one's sense of humour. For example, do you find this cartoon funny? I think it's hilarious and upon seeing this it will usually leave a 10 second smirk on my face. After that I will then proceed to forward this to a handful of people who I think will also have a smirk on their face. Alan Moir, by the way, is the cartoonist for the Sydney Morning Herald and he is a master when it comes to political satire. So anyway, it got me thinking why did ask me to go into the office when they could have the pick of the entire floor of staff?

a) I'm so serious that if I thought it was funny, the average joe would think it funny;
b) I have a great sense of humour;
c) I like cartoons;
d) I have no idea.

But I'm not serious. I don't think I've ever been serious my entire life unless I'm telling some kid off for misbehaving. I would like to settle with b) but I don't really have a great sense of humour because I laugh at really stupid jokes.

One day an Indian boy asked his father why they have such long names? The dad answers, "Well son whenever a Indian baby is born the father would go outside and name the baby after the first thing he sees... Why do you ask Two Dogs Fucking?"

2 comments:

supervisor133 said...

That's a great cartoon!

Fuz said...

Yup, highly amused.