Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Full time child mentor

I found a job in the classifieds today that I'm going to apply for. It's a full time job as a mentor for two children aged between 10-12. The ad reads that applicants should be:

  • able to enhance child's personality and independence
  • energetic, outgoing and proactive in approach
  • all rounded with particular interests in sports
  • university degree holder

Salary package: up to HK$1 million

What does a mentor really do? I remember I was a peer mentor for a Year 8 student when I was in Year 12. Basically, it was showing this kid the ropes and how to survive high school. Work on the weaknesses and bolster the strengths type thing. I believe I was also meant to inspire but I don't know if I succeeded. Anyway, I'm going to apply. For a million dollars I am inspired.

6 comments:

Fuz said...

you mercenary mpney grabber! mind, i'd love a job like that, sounds fab. good luck!!

Fuz said...

ok i cant spell. must be drunk. mpney means money, btw.

Anonymous said...

watch nanny mcphee

Jojo said...

Hi Wilda

you would be perfect! Is 1 million dollars the same as AUD$200K? That's a lot of joggle eyes! It sounds like:
- role model
- carer/nanny
- tutor
- companion
- fitness coach
- showing someone how to have fun and be happy

Anonymous said...

sounds like another 70 hour week ... but the salary seems to cover it this time!

wai said...

I have watched Nanny McPhee and thoroughly enjoyed it. I need to get myself a cane though.

Yes, it would be fun to make sock puppets, fold origami, baking, go to the art gallery, museums, planetariums, fun parks, go cyling, play ninetndo and impart wisdom on young minds.

And yes, that would be $AU200K a year to do the above, but I foresee more would be involved.