Christie was staying at a hotel near my old uni QUT (a university for the surreal world) and I walked through there and it was like a different campus. Where did all these new buildings come from and where did they get the money to build a new theatre? Well okay it's a rhetorical question. It definitely was not from government grants or the generosity of a philathropic alumli. I walked passed C block (also known as the law building) sending shivers up my spine.
We headed out via the artificial parklands that is Southbank to West End, home of Brisbane's alternative scene (kind of like Newtown for Sydney) and ______ for Melbourne. We stopped there for Thai food. Now I've had my fair share of Thai and I have to say that this was a pretty poor experience. My chicken laksa had no 'sa' in the 'lak'. Instead of soup it was more like a Hokkien noodles sauce consistency so it was very gluggy. Alex didn't enjoy her meal either and has vowed never to return. I concur with her.
Dessert took place at the Three Monkeys cafe and teahouse. They have a vast collection of a set of three monkeys on display and no doubt from different parts of the world if you are into that type of thing. Yesterday evening a white chocolate strawberry and almond torte was consumed. It more than made up for the bad Thai.
The topics of conversation among the Novites included what we have been doing, future plans, arts and crafts, politics, other Novites and shoes - all the important stuff! This is probably the third time I've caught up with Novites since I left Japan 18 months ago and it seems funny to me we always seem to gravitate towards each other. The world works in very strange ways.
Important dates to remember
Dec 1-5: Second Test: Australia v England, Adelaide: Play from 11am (local time); 11:30am (AEDT)
Dec 10-12: Will be in Sydney for yet another whirlwind trip to pack up my things, catch up with a few friends and dine at Sushi Suma.
Dec 14-18: Third Test: Australia v England, Perth: Play from 10:30am (local time); 1:30pm (AEDT)
Dec 26-30: Fourth Test: Australia v England, Melbourne: Play from 10:30am (local time); 10:30am (AEDT)
Jan 2-6: Fifth Test: Australia v England, Sydney: Play from 10:30am (local time); 10:30am (AEDT)
New segment: Banana Price Watch

I think it's great that bananas are finally getting the pricing they deserve particularly after Cyclone Larry. This rich-in-vitamin conveniently wrapped fruit is finally getting the recognition it deserves. I was really surprised to find out when I landed back in the country that the price of bananas has skyrocketed to the levels you would pay for cherries in the middle of summer. Just as well, I consumed my fill of Philippine bananas in Hong Kong at HK$5 (A$0.83) for a bunch of five before coming over.
Today's banana price is: A$9.98/kg
Banana story: I once slipped on a banana peel - loony tunes style - in front of my uni (yes there were many people around) - and went skidding along, but managed to balance myself after coming to a grinding halt and then tithering like a gymnast on a beam for what seemed like eternity, I then landed on my butt with a thud. I admit it was not one of the most graceful moments of my life but then I have very few of them. My friend Ben was walking out with me at the time and he asked if I was ok with this huge smirk on his face. I can see the situation as quite comical now but WHAT KIND OF A PERSON LEAVES A BANANA PEEL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALKWAY???
133: Tried to post a comment but beta version doesn't like me. Cricket season has only just begun, so it's too early to express rage about the AFL. Also, it's about time we got decent players from the draft pick and so what if it was all in one go. Re:Mal - the contract is in black and white and people are entitled to change their minds. Mantra for the '07 season - What wooden spoon?
1 comment:
I'm glad you've decided to go public with your banana slip since I've already told a lot of my friends about it :P
Post a Comment