Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Shopping with wookie

And I thought I was a fussy shopper! I am just glad that five-toed socks were purchased and my trend of the said socks and sandals will start right here in Hong Kong. After many kilometres of walking, a red French cotton terry zip up cardigan with hood and a striped double layer tee were purchased at a new place called Chocoolate. I'm not too sure about a shop being named after a confectionery but if a shop called Cheeese sold clothes it would definitely draw me in. They are only selling menswear and petswear at the moment. Womenswear will be coming soon.

By the way, have you noticed I've put up raw sugar cane for something to try. My dad brought some back from Hui Lai (China) with him and we have been gnawing at the sugar cane for the past few evenings. If you've never tried it before, it basically consists of biting into the cane and ripping the woody bits off and chewing it like tobacco, sucking he juices and spitting it out again. It's a lot of work and your jaws end up really sore. However, getting to the centre is worth the effort. It's crunchy and very refreshing. My dad boasted that in his youth, he would chew on canes over a metre long. Now that is a shit load of of gnawing!

I purchased a Monchichi for my niece's one month old celebrations on Friday. It's traditional to celebrate a child's birth after they turn one month and you have a big dinner and hand out red hard boiled eggs. I haven't been to one of these gigs before so it should be good.

Nothing on the job front yet. I applied for two positions yesterday and neither have gotten back to me. The turn around time is usually quite slow here. I rang a place on Saturday and they got back to me this evening. After I heard what their expectations were for the pay, I rejected their offer. It was a 7-day week job. No thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy job hunting! what's monchichi btw?

ahhhhh..sugar canes...i need dentures to chew on them now. thanks! you brought me back to the sweet memories of my good old days.

wai said...

Monchichi. See: http://www.modell-land.de/ki_traum/bilder/monchi/fuss/mon_153.jpg

supervisor133 said...

I remember when I first started living in Shiz with Matt he would chew tobacco and spit it into an empty bottle. Definitely right up there on my list of all-time gross outs.

Fingers crossed for the job-hunting. I was made a similar offer to head off to Sg yesterday (6 days/week, 9 hours/day) for peanuts. Needless the say that made the rejection list.

usotski said...

Job hunting blows. Also, as a local, what do you think of this: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/17/news/hong.php?page=1?

wai said...

usotski: I read about that in yesterday's South China Morning Post. As a local, who doesn't plan to procreate anytime soon, I'm all for the mainland mothers giving birth in Hong Kong. I just wonder how many immigration officers can tell if a woman is over 7 months pregnant? Are they going to have a obstetrician on stand-by telling women to get on the stirrups? I think it's only right that they fork out the $5000 for the hospital care. Hong Kong taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for the parents who do not pay tax in Hong Kong.

In my opnion, this kind of immigration splits up family units because the parents do not have a right of abode in Hong Kong. I'm not sure if this is so good for the child who doesn't get a say in the matter. I know some children are forced to live with relatives who reside in Hong Kong and see their parents every couple of weeks or less. So I have my reservations as to whether this situation is really for the good of society/the community.

The HK dept of health worries are a bogus. I can bet a majority of those mainlander who have or will give birth do not get to see a doctor until it's time to deliver because the health system is so crap. Despite the lack of ultrasounds, China still manages to produce a poplation of 1.3 billion.