Tuesday, January 30, 2007

yukky yukky

Did you know using a squat toilet has been hypothesised to reduce straining and therefore reduce the occurrence of hemorrhoids. That's probably the only good thing from using a squat toilet. Yesterday, I spent the best part of the entire day at the hospital with my dad who had to have minor invasive surgery to remove the piles growing from his "butt butt". I'm starting to sound like my Singaporean sister-in-law who doubles nouns and adjectives at her pleasure to make things appear nicer.

It's just as well I'm unemployed and able to look after my dad. The poor man has been through a lot of trauma regarding his health this past year. He had a bad fall earlier this year and was hospitalised for over a week and had to lie in bed for 40 days to recover. Then he had to get a blood vein removed from his right eye. He had to have major dental work done. Now this.
I really don't want to grow old and have all these potential health problems. I'll take a hernia over a hemorrhoid any day of the given week. I'll even take my wisdom teeth out. (I am squinting as I write this because I can almost feel the pain by proxy). I told my dad not to worry. The year is almost over and a new one is three weeks away.
If you want to read about your Chinese horoscope for 2007, here it is. If you want a second opinion here it is. I'm a wood tiger and 2007 is suppose to bring me wealth. Every year is suppose to bring me wealth but I haven't seen any of it yet.

The youngster in the hospital bed next to my dad had surgery on his leg. He was treated by his mother like royalty. He had a laptop to watch DVDs. He had homemade soup brought to him and this morning his mother went and bought the paper for him and brought him back a bag of chips. I hope he looks after her just as well as she does him.

What did I do for my dad? Plenty. When we got home I even gave him my inflated doughnut floaty device that I used for swimming for him to plant his butt butt on. What more could a dad ask for?

Engrish


This cartoon appeared in today's South China Morning Post in relation to a story about how Hong Kong students' would get an 'F' for English proficiency discussing Bob Birrell's study. (Sorry no links offered by SCMP). I can think of a more plausible explanation. They don't hire native English speaking Asians with qualifications to teach but would rather hire Caucasian teachers with little qualifications just for show.

4 comments:

supervisor133 said...

Looks like I'm in for a fairly good year (Goat) - yay for me!

And yes, some of the Caucasians that are employed as teachers in Asia are just walking disasters, often with a fetish or an utter inability to make it in their home country. Harsh... but as a professional teacher it is insulting that these people, who generally mangle the language, are employed on the basis that they are white.

wai said...

133: In the next 12 months, if you need my address to send out invitations for me to attend your engagement party just give me a yell. No pressure or anything but and I quote:
"The shy sheep or one who cannot decide may miss the advantage of all the opportunities that this year brings."

usotski said...

As a horse, it seems snakes will be hiding my messengers. Damn them. Do they mean people with the sign of the snake, actual snakes or metaphorical snakes? Very tricky.
Also, when sour grapes are fully justified, are they still sour? Should we just say "Grapes, w-ko, grapes."?

wai said...

usotski: They mean people who have the sign of a snake. So whenever someone passes on to you a message you better make sure their sign isn't a snake. But of course, there are metaphorical snakes as you have appropriately pointed out and I'll be weary of them too. Real snakes are just bloody scary in general. If you see them head the opposite direction and yell RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! That's what this ophidiophobic would do.

LOL! You've just added another botanical idiom to my list/coffee table book.