Thursday, February 01, 2007

I can see it now... well almost

usotski: Remember when I said when one door closes another one opens? Well, I said it when this professor rang me about a research associate job at the University of Hong Kong. I didn't want to blog about it fearing that I would be jinxing myself. Anyway, I didn't hear from her after the interview nor for the next two days thinking that I was under qualified for the job (not having a masters degree or a doctorates and specialising in bugger all, bar cheese consumption and baked goods). But I got the call today after she contacted Jojo, my referee (who is now responsible for scoring three jobs for me) saying that I can start tomorrow and officially on Monday.

I'll be helping Professor Doreen Weisenhaus (if you google her there are just too many links as she used to be a writer/editor for The New York Times) who works at the Journalism and Media Studies Centre set up a conference to do with media law. The gist of it is there will be keynote speakers from academic institutions and media related companies about media law defenses that have been tried successfully in cases. Delegates from six countries will be invited to attend and they will attempt to try and set up a curriculum or be mentors to media lawyers in their own country to teach lawyers how to defend the media, if or when they get in strife from possible lawsuits for defamation, sedition etc. I'll be assisting with the coordinating and putting the material together to be used.

The pay is crap but I think it'll be interesting work for the next four months and on the plus side I get to work from home. I guess I can see it as an introduction to journalism and media but I would have also made all these contacts along the way. Geoffrey Robertson QC is expected to be a keynote speaker.

Not only that, when I arrived back home this evening I got an expression of interest from a language school asking me if I would be free to teach a student privately on Saturdays? For $250-300 Hell Yes! Hopefully this could be a foot in the door to a full time position once my contract work for HKU finishes.

So, if this is what is meant by wealth in the new year- it's TOPS! But it's not even the New Year yet. It's only the first of February. I'm buying the lotto in a few weeks time.

Education and Careers Expo
I attended the expo at Hong Kong's Convention Centre today. People were soliciting me from their stands and tried to sell me a career in selling insurance, financial planning and also one as a beautician. I was also offered a free English level test for by the Wall Street Institute (a language school I've applied to work for twice but with no response). I was also given information about studying in Australia. How were they to know? By the end of the morning, I'd collected a lot of reusable bags, tacky gifts, a free yoga pass for seven days and pamphlets. Out of the entire exhibition, joining the police force seemed to be the most enticing career to get into. The police wielding their machine guns were so good looking. I think they might have hired professional male models. I mean, why would they waste those chiseled cheekbones and risk getting bashed in the face?

2 comments:

supervisor133 said...

Congrats! That's excellent news. The media/law gig sounds really interesting.
I must admit I would have been tempted to fake it and find out about their offers to study in Australia if I were you ;)

ninjawookie said...

rice.
don't forget to read media watch transcripts!