In my own little weird way, I get excited whenever there is talk about font. I don't know if the average person will understand but I'm sure many of my editor friends know what I'm taking about. Although, I'm not quite sure how many editors are reading my blog at the moment but this one is dedicated to you. I came across this article in the IHT about Helvetica's 50th birthday. Why not? If we can have birthdays why not fonts.
Do you have a favourite font? Currently, my top 5 are:
1. Verdana
2. Arial
3. Trebuchet
4. Garamond
5. Century Gothic
If I am corresponding with you using my yahoo account, you'll get it in Verdana. If I'm using my gmail it'll be Arial. My blog is in Trebuchet for easier reading. I'm currently editing the resource material for the conference and I wonder if anyone would notice if I changed all the Times Roman text into Garamond? I remember having discussions with fellow editors about why one font is better than another. When I'm at the bookshop contemplating buying a book, one of the things I check is the readability of the font and what type of typeface is used, usually detailed in the publisher's information page. I think it's important to use a font that reflects one's personality now that handwritten material is a thing of the past. According to this study, I'm an all purpose dull conformist! Well, I don't think I am! I just like simplicity.