Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Agua crisis

I woke up this morning to brush my teeth and there was no running water. Perhaps there was no running water in the outhouse? Great! So I went into the main house and there was no water either. I don't get it. The toilet flushed. Where was the tap water?

Apparently, the entire street didn't have running water and we had to live without water (apart from the small tank we had of filtered water) for the entire day. Have you ever tried it? It's torture. After you go to the toilet you have to resort to using wet wipes to wipe your hands. You can't cook anything that uses a lot water. Forget about drinking the stuff. Find another beverage. Pasta was out of the question. We had to peel all the vegetables before roasting for dinner and I had vegetable sticks dipped in hummus. Perhaps it's out of habit but the number of times I turned on the tap to rinse and wash is a lot in one day. It'd only occurred to me how much I depend on the H2O when there is nothing coming out of the tap. I must be bordering obsessive compulsive. For the entire day I felt crusty.

My sister was on the internet buying water. I figured if a war broke out we would not be very well-equipped in terms of survival. My nephew alone would use up all the water we had in the tank in half a day. He actually had to recycle one of his 10 milk bottles because there was no water to wash them and he had to have a wipe down bath rather than being immersed with a rubber ducky in a bath. Then my sister said that the toilet only flushed because of the water in the tank but the tank will run out if the supply is not replenished. Stinky!

We left the tap on on so that we would know when the main would be turned back on. When I heard the drips of water running down out of the tap just before 9pm I rejoiced and shouted, "Water..water!" My sister said, Yes I hear it. I declared it to be a Christmas miracle. We could also hear a lot of chatter from the oldies out on the street celebrating the return of water.

I have a new appreciation for those people who live without running water. Which would you rather no electricity or no water. I would rather have water. I love water. Please don't go away again.

2 comments:

ninjawookie said...

eww a world without showers.

see the new harry potter yet?

wai said...

Forget showers! There was no water for washing after going to the loo!
Nope. Not yet. I still haven't even seen the new Transformer movie yet.