So I've been cramming Spanish in the last few days to prepare for my trip to Barcelona. By that, I mean listening to "Learn Spanish in One Day" by Elizabeth Smith. The lessons, which I have downloaded onto my Ipod takes place on a plane where Lizzie, who is German, speaks perfect Spanish and she is seated next to Andy (a Brit) who is going to Spain and decides to engage Lizzie to be his Spanish teacher for the duration of the flight.
Either this Andy guy is a bloody linguistics genius or I'm just a bit daft at learning this language. I've listened to it about three times and still haven't gotten pass "Getting About" mainly because the words for left and right are the hardest words ever to pronounce and memorise. I've decided to bypass it now after several attempts and if I need to ask for directions I'll just wave my right and left hand. I'm not a total dunce because I can self introduce myself and ask where the bus stop is, toilet and train station is. I can also order drinks and say "I want...".
My Spanish was put to the test when I took my nephew to get our daily dose of fresh air, sun and leave plucking from trees. The elderly neighbour (whom we call The Twin, the other twin being my brother-in-law because he talks really loud and they are both about the same height) spotted us and came towards us we stepped out the door.
TT: Hola. Que Tal? [How are you?]
W-ko: Bien.
TT: Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah Blah. [Very loudly and invading my personal space.]
W-ko: Si Si (Smiling. I didn't know what the hell he was going on about and the si si and the smiling continued for about another 5-8 minutes with a bit of nodding thrown in here and there.)
TT: Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah BlahBlah blah blah Blah. [TT points at Ollie's nose and Ollie responds by giving him a catsbumface. Apparently, my nephew has picked up some Aunty W-ko traits and wrinkled his nose at him.] BlahBlah blah blah Blah. BlahBlah blah blah Blah.. Dos Anos [and holds up two fingers].
W-ko: No. Uno and holding up half a finger.
TT: Blah blah blah Blah el grande! Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah
Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah.
[I kept looking at the front door and Ollie was getting really heavy. Is this guy getting the hint yet?]
TT: Blah Blah blah blah Blah el grande! Blah blah blah Blah Blah blah blah Blah.
W-ko: Asta Luego.
TT: Aluego.
I swear it was the longest conversation in Spanish I've ever had in my life and I never want to step out of the front door again if he is lurking outside. It reminded me of the time when I was in Shizuoka and I was cycling north-west to find the giant tree (as you do). I got lost and this old Japanese guy who was gardening was trying to give me directions and we ended up playing charades. I did find a tree. It was big but not gigantuan in proportions. Vincent ended up taking me to see the real one which was like the tree in Totoro. In case you're reading, remember the scrawny little one we saw that was held up by a post in the temple?
No comments:
Post a Comment