they slither while they pass they slip away across the universe...
Sunday, August 05, 2007
Aranjuez
Aranjuez, south of Madrid, is yet another royal pleasure retreat. I didn't go inside the palace this time because I've been to far too many palaces in the last two months and I think the chandelier memory bank is overloaded. Plus it looked like they were in the middle of refurbishing so it wasn't worth the entry fee of €4.50. The Jardines de la Isla as opposed to the jardine in La Granja were free and probably four times as big. It was one of those gardens with lots of marble busts, bird baths and fountains that people of European origins try to emulate in the suburban back/front yards in Australia but at a much smaller scale. Why do people do that unless they have 40 hectares to play around with?
The trees in the garden were spectacular. If you want to be completely surrounded by graceful limbs and leaves in different shades of green this is the place to be. They must have been at least 200 years old and 20-25 metres in height. The bushes could have done with a manicure and it would have been nice for them to turn on a few fountains for the tourists instead of wasting water on a man-made cascade (you'll see it in the You Tube clip I made).
For the bargain price of €2.00 you can visit the Barge Museum in the Jardines del PrincĂpe. I bet not many people can say they have visited a barge museum. Inside there were about five barges that had been presented to previous kings and queens of Spain and various nautical themed paintings and models, as well as a crocodile carcass nailed to the wall.
The Green Frog was built around a tree. Every builder should take note. It can be done. I mean, the tree was there first. I'm sure you can tell what we ordered for lunch. I know what you're thinking. Is there anything she doesn't eat? I don't really like eating lamb. If you've never eaten frog's legs before, it tastes like chicken with a fishy aftertaste and the legs are quite delicate but there is enough meat to chew on on the calf and thigh bits.
Photo of the Day
Disclaimer: Before watching this short film, I would advise the audience to use the facilities available at your closest convenience in order to empty your bladder. The producer will not be responsible for any unfortunate accidents that may occur during or after the viewing of this film.
No comments:
Post a Comment