they slither while they pass they slip away across the universe...
Friday, August 17, 2007
Barcelona
I deleted the posting from Barcelona because after some careful consideration and sifting through 600 plus photos and possibly thousands of megabytes worth of video footage, I've decided to post by subject matter and not in chronological order. I kept a travel journal and will re-write snipets from it.
Mercat de la Boqueria
First off, is the Mercat de la Boqueria, which is a fresh food market situated a couple of blocks from where I was staying, just off La Rambla - Barcelona's main thoroughfare if you are going by foot or bike. I visited the market in the mornings and in the late afternoons for refreshments when it was open.
If I ever have to settle down in a place permanently, my house/flat will definitely have to be within walking distance of a market like this one. The colours from the fruit, vegies and glazed fruit were so vibrant that although I don't eat glazed fruit, I bought a bag of tropical fruit and nuts mixed from the vendor just because I was mesmorized by the shiny fruit on display.
People were walking around eating slices of nicely cut watermelon and pineapple, using the fruit skin as a plate; slurping on a cocktail of juices in a variety of mixes and a kaleidiscope of colours. My beverage of choice was cactus flower (pitahaya) and pineapple juice. It was fushia pink in colour and purchased from the most aptly named fruit juice shop in the market! It just happened. I was sucking on my straw, looked up and there it was.
Before I left Barcelona, I decided to stock up for the four hour train journey ahead. So I stopped off at the market one last time and headed where they sold ham baguettes. I was waiting for a long time to be served and stupidly forgot about Spanish market etiquette and picked up the baguette. The woman behind the counter saw me and held her pointer finger up and it swung like like a metronome. Then she took the baguette from my hand and put it back where I got it from and said she would be with me in a minute. Oh shit! I hope she comes back and serves me. I really want that baguette. It looked so crispy on the outside and I could smell the distinct aroma of nicely cured ham through the cling wrap.
For the folks reading this, NEVER and I mean never touch anything that is for sale at the market. Only the vendors get to touch the goods until you pay for it. You may point to what you want, but don't make contact with the produce. God forbid, if you decide to poke and then pick up a pear and sniff it, you'll be thrown out and barred from the market for life. They'll be mugshots of the fruit sniffer at every fruit vendor in the market. I'll be forever known as the notorious jamon baguette picker.
Within and around the market there were also small counter top restaurants where they serve tapas and beer, no doubt from the produce found in the markets. All the tourists were crammed on the stools or waiting in line to be fed. It was as if they had never eaten calamari before or see an olive on toothpick. There was another section that was not under the roof of the market and I think they were independent growers selling organic produce. Their fruit and vege were not as nicely displayed but I'm sure their produce would have tasted better.
It was just an average residential block and the Battlo family commissioned Gaudi to refurbish it.
"The house was originally built between 1875 and 1877 and in 1900 it was bought by the Spanish industrialist Josep Battló who commissioned Gaudí to tear it down and build a new home in its place. Gaudí managed to convince Battló to remodel the existing building instead of tearing it down, and between 1904 and 1906 he redesigned the facade and roof, added an extra floor and completely remodeled the interior. While the Battló family and their servants occupied two floors of the building, the other floors were also renovated and put up for rent. With the exception of the former Battló residence, the building remains occupied with tenants to this day." - http://www.escapeartist.com/OREQ19/Casa_Batllo.html
2 comments:
what was the casa battlo built for>?
It was just an average residential block and the Battlo family commissioned Gaudi to refurbish it.
"The house was originally built between 1875 and 1877 and in 1900 it was bought by the Spanish industrialist Josep Battló who commissioned Gaudí to tear it down and build a new home in its place. Gaudí managed to convince Battló to remodel the existing building instead of tearing it down, and between 1904 and 1906 he redesigned the facade and roof, added an extra floor and completely remodeled the interior. While the Battló family and their servants occupied two floors of the building, the other floors were also renovated and put up for rent. With the exception of the former Battló residence, the building remains occupied with tenants to this day." - http://www.escapeartist.com/OREQ19/Casa_Batllo.html
Post a Comment