Yes Lo Si! aka (Yes Sensei!)
[Background- I had a piece of garlic toast for lunch. I resume my lesson with my Japanese student who is new to Hong Kong after lunch.]
S: Is it taboo to eat garlic for lunch in Hong Kong?
T: ...Wwwwhy do you ask? [Thinking*Damn! I knew I should have eaten some gum before class!*]
S: Oh! Because I had garlic for lunch.
T: You did! [*Feeling relieved*] Me too! I had garlic toast.
So I breathe into the palm of my hand to smell my breath and my students looks at me and does the same thing. And then we look at each other with our faces screwed up.
T: Nope, I don't have bad breath. And no it's not taboo in Hong Kong [Yes, I would say that wouldn't I!] Garlic is used in a lot of dishes in Hong Kong so I think it's quite alright to have garlic for lunch. I encourage it!
My student conducts another breath test into the palm of his hand and we're both sniffing the air in the room.
I decide to turn the fan on.
1 comment:
go tin tin!!!
Post a Comment