Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mid-Autumn Festival

Mooncakes and lanterns - Lamma style. Last night I attended Mid-Autumn celebrations that took place on the island's soccer pitch. The pitch was decorated with lanterns along one of the borders.

There were games for children that I witnessed more adults partaking in than their offspring. A stage was set up for distinguished guest to receive little flags for organising the event. The stage was also the setting for the island's edition of "Lamma's got talent". I have to say that the extent of Lamma's talent includes harmonicasts and piano accordians but that's about it. A group of tone-deaf high school kids 'sang'. I use this verb very loosely. It sounded more like that a rooster was being slayed as a sacrificial tribute for the black rabbit on the moon. There was a kung-fu demonstration and lion dancing. For an island with a population of 6000 inhabitants, the kung-fu demographics was quite large.

Happy mooning!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, looks like a big celebration had happened in lamma island. i only saw your post here after i've dropped you note on your fb wall. it's raining over here now. poor kids, i hope it stops soon so that the kids can celebrate the mid-autumn festival with their lanterns.