
This afternoon, The V and I went exploring into the deepest darkest jungles of Lamma. Except there were no jaguars, anacondas or otters and we were actually scampering and climbing along the rocky coastline along the north shore before we found ourselves surrounded by overgrowth and old derelict semi-abandoned buildings. It was an adventure of sorts because we didn't really know where we were going, okay I didn't know where I was going and there was the possibility of running into native squatters at their lodgings - uninvited. Sign language was worked out before stepping foot into the fortress. Index finger slitting the throat meant: "Get the hell out and make a run for it!" Of course we didn't have to resort to that. Our conversation was reduced to a whisper despite the fact that when we were walking around the compound our footsteps were not exactly ninja-like. I'm sure if someone had been there they would have heard us coming from a mile away.
So, if you want to live rent free on Lamma, this is the kind of place you would find. The building itself looked like it was once a mansion in its glory days. It had a fish pond and gardens surrounding the house.


After walking around in the rooms for what seemed like an eternity and taking photos of broken vintage items we tried to find a way out. I followed what looked like to be the path but it led us back to where we came from. Where was the way out?
"Do you trust me?", The V asked.
"Yes." Let me tell you that when you're being bitten by mosquitoes and you want to get out of a place where you might run into people whose space you have invaded and someone asks you if you trust them, the answer should always be yes.
I was led down the stairs and through rooms and behind a curtained doorway and down a makeshift path of broken planks surrounded by tall grass and we found ourselves at the front gate of the building and the path to freedom!
6 comments:
I really hope you're watching out for the crocodiles that escaped their Chinese captors and according to their blogs are heading straight for Lamma. Be very, very careful, W.
crocs I fear not! I am more fearful of running into snakes.
hpw about druglords, illegal immigrants and pirates?
nope, none of the above. i would personally join the pirates.
Hi Wilda. Is that Vince? That's so cool that you two are together again in HK. I suppose it's been a while now, ne?
I added a link to your blog via my blog (drivebystaring.blogspot.com). Hope that's ok! Let me know if it's not.
Indeed it is The V. With him, it's an endless adventure. Thanks for the link. I'll add yours to mine as well!
Post a Comment