Saturday, December 13, 2008

Looking through a lens

A sure sign that you are totally consumed by photography is when you are walking along and suddenly something catches your eye, whether it be a reflection that is gleaming from rays of light or a composition of colour, objects or people that fit neatly into a frame of thirds. You stop dead in your tracks, turn around for a second look and sure enough your index finger finds your on/off camera switch and before you know it you are staring at the world with one eye through a lens. The lens concurrently beeps and moves back and forth as it adjusts the focus. You press the shutter - release - and hope for the best. If you've never heard the sound of a shutter being released, you're definitly missing out. The Nikon D90 makes a click sound that sounds like it is a tiny vaccum that is gasping for its last breath of air. Maybe it's all in my head. You take several shots and make a few minor adjustments, just in case you were decieved by what you saw as one-eyed Jack. You review your labours on the LCD screen. It's passable perhaps. You won't know until you see it and all its imperfections on the bigscreen or until someone proclaims it "Crap!"

Another indication is when you start to look at other people's camera and you suffer from either lens or camera envy. I tend to suffer more from the former now that I have a better camera. On Lamma Island, we get a lot of tourists. Some people have ridiculously large lenses, long and big enough to rival any paparazzi's tools to earn a livelihood except Brad and Angelina don't live on this island. We have dogs, cats and papaya. Honestly, does taking a snapshot of a cat require a telephoto lens? You also find yourself critiquing other people's technique or looking at their viewfinder to see what shot they have set up. It's mostly negative. They are using their flash. What the hell are they doing?

You know you seriously have a problem is when you pay to have afternoon tea at a place you don't normally frequent just because there are photo opportunities nearby. Elderly people make the greatest subjects because they they go about their business without being self-conscious.

Last week I took four photos for random strangers and tourists and it averaged out to about a photo a day. In a year, I estimate I take about 20-30 photos for random strangers and perhaps more if I'm travelling overseas. To date, I haven't really handled any camera nicer than my own. I've also taken it upon myself to give direction and reorganise their shot. They ask if I wouldn't mind taking a photo and making sure I get the background! I do mind. Hey, if they want me to take a photo for them at least it should be done properly. Although, I do get these looks from people when I ask them to move to the left or right because they are blocking something that is more interesting than themselves.

Do you know what's better than a robin's egg blue box? A gold box with black lettering on it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this photo, very much. Perhaps I just miss having a cat.

Jadd

wai said...

We have many cats and dogs on the island. There are two who regularly visit - one called Jaijai because that's what the real owner calls him and one called "Clone" that I named because he looks exactly like Jaijai.

This cat is owned by the person who runs the herb garden near the beach. As you can see, it is possible to sleep on a fence.

Anonymous said...

What it's now down to one blog every month?

wai said...

No. Try once every three months. Let's see, what excuses can I come up with?
- writing too much at work and therefore don't feel much like writing at home.
- V and his Mario Kart enticements (less writing time)
- I haven't been inspired by anything to commit to writing about it.
-I'm writing now aren't I? :P