I've finally found a place that will give Sushi Suma (Sydney) a run for its money. It's called mi-ne sushi in Causeway Bay on Pak Sha Road. We got there at 7pm, our ticket number was 123 and the number on the board was 69. There is always a crowd outside on the street waiting patiently even on a very hot muggy summer's evening. We got back an hour later after going to Mistukoshi's (HK) goodbye sale and the number on the board was 81! A nice lady who took two numbers gave us hers, no. 88. When our number finally game up, the table co-ordinator told us there was only a seat for 3 on one side of the table because the patrons who sat on the otherside of the table were still gas-bagging. So the three of us went in first to "apply pressure" to get rid of these women. Our plan worked and when the two women realised we had a party of 5, they asked for the bill. The house special was big prawn sushi and sure enough it was a big prawn (as shown above). But the deep-fried cheese and potato balls were the best I'd ever eaten. Crisp outer layer, light and fluffy on the inside and then melted cheesey goodness in the centre. Even better than Watatmi. I was also asked to try the 'crap' stick sushi that wasn't a fake crap stick but a real one! Hongkongers can't pronounce 'b' properly especially with their mouths full. Yep, it was a real crap stick. No photo of that one because it just looked like a crab stick.
The thing I like about eating sushi and this may sound crass to some but others (sushi connoisseurs like myself) may identify with it - when you eat the ones with the salmon roe on top and then an hour later you find that a salmon roe had been left behind, lodged in between your teeth perhaps and then you pierce it with your teeth and you get the tiniest little burst of salt in your mouth. Tis delectable!
3 comments:
Deep-fried cheese and potato balls - OH MY GOD!!! do they have then at Sushi Suma too?
I need some deep-fried cheese and potato balls - right now!
Hmm.. actually I don't think so.
You can get deep fried camembert balls at Sussex 66. Did I ever take you there or was that an after climbing whim of mine? It's a Hong Kong style cafe.
I don't think I've been there ... deep fried camembert ... mmmm ... Homer's arteries ... glughglughlguh ...
Post a Comment