Sunday, July 09, 2006

new toy



Guess what I bought from ToysR'us today? A Nintendo DS- lite in Polar White. I didn't buy it on a whim. There was discounting, point collection and I'm about to travel again in a couple weeks for work and I need something to keep me occupied on the plane to keep me from being lonely. The games purchased are classics, bringing me back to primary school - pac-pics and space invaders. The pac-man one I have to use the stylus, lots of fun actually. I'm still crap at space invaders. This device will also help be become more ambidextrous. As people who I've played PS or Nintendo with in the past know that I am quite uncoodinated when it comes to pressing buttons in combined sequences. Can anyone recommend to me some games that uses the stylus and microphone?

I was reading the instruction booklet for about ten minutes or so and my brother (who owns a PSP but rarely plays with it) was waiting for me to open the box and switch it on. Finally he said "Well, aren't you going to turn it on? No one reads the instructions." The next thing I know, the DS was in my brother hands with my nephew hovering and breathing down his neck watching him play. "My go next okay Aunty Wai!" Just as well we don't live in the same household anymore. Once upon a time, I bought a Game Boy (the original). I played Testris a few times and then I never saw it again and then it became the accessory for number two visits.

If I can't get past the fourth stage of pac-man after a week, can someone let me know how to kill to the fouth boss. The review says its easy but I beg to differ because I'm not as smart as 8-12 year olds.

9 comments:

Fuz said...

Wario Ware or Nintendogs for stylus and mic. Wario ware is a series of mini-games at different skill levels, you get about three seconds for each one. Nintendogs you can pet your dog and feed it, play with it via stylus and teach is commands using stylus and mic, and then mic to get it to do stuff.

Yeah, DS is the way to go. Pink lites come out here soon, but I don't need it as I have a pink DS (my 2nd, preferred it to the silver) and the game boy cartridges stick out of the ds lite. And I still play a lot of game boy games.

Good luck!

(I have pac man too, it gets really hard further on!)

wai said...

Nintendogs is a must for me. Thanks! I might have read about this game when I was comptemplating the purchase of an Aibo - Sony's robot dog. Yes, I thought of you when I was making my purchase. I remember you showed me this really cool thing using the mic during one of our teaching breaks :)

ninjawookie said...

buy pokemon fire red so i can play with you once i get a link cable, but it's pretty addictive.

and yeah wario ware is awesome, i have it for advance, and i played a bit on DS, and it was awesome.

people at work are playing brain teasers one, they're supposed to be really good as well, plus it has sudoku.

Anonymous said...

W-ko's gaming technique discussed here in some detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_mashing

Here's hoping the new toy will herald a change in philosophy - I can't afford to keep replacing my PS controllers ;)

wai said...

Wario Ware - can't seem to find it as I went out looking again. I'll look for Fire Red. Nah, that's one nerdy thing I'm not into - Sudoku.

wai said...

B-ko: "Sometimes, button mashing can prove to defeat a skilled strategy through random chance on singular occasions. This is often frustrating for skilled players, who have merely the opportunity for a rematch at their disposal."

Hooray for button mashing! :P

Fuz said...

Get Mario Kart, great fun. Not so good for mic and stylus, but fucking funny....

Fuz said...

Ninjawookie, do you need a link cable? Can't you just link up DS to DS through the wireless? Thats what we do for Nintendogs or Mario Kart....

Anonymous said...

W-ko: lol!