Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mooncake



No, it's not that time of year yet. Yesterday marked the first official day of Autumn according to the Lunar calender. So it'll be another couple of months until the Mid-Autumn Lunar Festival but they are already releasing mooncakes onto the market. This evening I consumed, with the help of my father, half of a double yolk mooncake. I might as well have been eating Christmas pudding. Why do they do this to the masses? I can't have mooncake sitting in the fridge for two months while I wait for the festival to come around? If you haven't tried mooncake, get thee to a Chinatown bakery. They usually come in nicely decorated tins. A box of four is quite expensive (around $A40). So you may want to either form a mooncake alliance with three other people or by single orphan ones (not as nice). Like everything else, they now come in different colours and flavours like chocolate mousse, snowhite (outer layer made of glutinous rice) and even tirmisu. I would recommend you stick to the traditional bean paste ones with or without the yolk with traditional outercrust pastry. The yolk represents the moon of course!

Am I really blogging about mooncakes when it's not even the right time of year yet? I've always been a mooncake enthusiast. Well okay, I'm generally an all-round baked goods enthusiast.
You can moon me anyday!

4 comments:

ninjawookie said...

ewwww! Yolk moon!?
it's all about the sweet taste of Lotus 4eva!

supervisor133 said...

Aren't mooncakes those "special" cakes that the kids used to eat in The Magic Faraway Tree?

wai said...

133: Oh my dog! Did you use to read the Magic Faraway Tree? Man, you just transported me back to Grade 2. Thank you! Saucepan was my favourite. I have to see if I can find it and re-read. There's just something about enchanted forests and trees. I always thought the 'fairy tree' at the Botanical gardents in Melbourne had the 'Magic' connection.
*sigh*

Fuz said...

Moon-face all the way! and Topsy-Turvey land was the best... all that walking on your hands!