
JFK, Princess Diana and Steve Irwin! Nah sorry I don't buy it. How soon we forget the feeding the crocodile with his baby incident.
As entertaining as he was in a William Hung kind of way - I mean c'mon it was an accidental death waiting to happen.
This is what the (insert your own expletives) leader of our great nation had to say:
Prime Minister John Howard told Federal Parliament today that Steve Irwin died in "bizarre, tragic and in some respects quintessentially Australian circumstances".
What? I don't know about you but is swimming near sting rays quintessentially Australian? If Steve had drunk a six pack carton of VBs and a BBQ before jumping into water then that would be in "quintessentially Australian" circumstances.
In other news, I resigned today.
5 comments:
First things first, the baby feeding incident was the first thing that came to my mind too! Also, this is being treated as a day of national mourning. I don't mean to belittle a man's death, because it IS tragic, but people die every day. Here is a man who is only famous in Australia because he is famous in America/UK. I certainly don't remember his show being regularly played on commercial tv. Tragic, yes. On par with Princess Diana? Don't think so.
And congrats on the resignation. Despite the "oh shit, I need to find something to do" factor, I'm sure you will make a fabulous choice. Come to Melb, I need company until I jet off next time!
Yeah Wilda, congrats on resigning. And yes, it probably was an accident waiting to happen but I don't know this baby story. Feel sorry for his family though.
Whens your last day?
Yay Wilda! good on you... a leap into the unknown!
Re Steve Irwin - thank goodness you guys are saying what I've been thinking (and saying) - Steve Irwin is no Princess Di - and I agree, he is only famous here because he has celebrity in America. Politicians are saying he is a national icon but he was just a TV celebrity who like animals, not a hero.
Colin Thiele also died this week - he wrote Storm Boy, the most beautiful book of my childhood - I remember balling my eyes out when I was 5, seeing the movie - but Colin Thiele only got a small para on page 6 of the newspaper.
"Mr Percival!"
Hurray for resigning!
Anime DVD business?
The Steve Irwin death was highly hypocritical on the Australian media's side since they never really paid attention to him in the first place. His persona probably allowed him the privacy he had in his own country, which he probably would not have maintained had he lived in the states.
133: If you find a job for me in Melbourne and a place to live, I'll be more than happy to hang and share my fruit tingles with you before you depart to your unknown destination.
fuz: I should have provided the link to non-Aussies. Sorry:
Here tis: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-01-02-irwin_x.htm
My last day is Nov 3rd.
jojo: Mr Percical - Now he is a national icon.
colbaby: try fashion and homewares
Post a Comment