I took a trip out to Sham Shui Po today. It's the mecca for cheap goods even cheaper than Mong Kok which is overrun by tourists nowaday. I went there to try to find hawkers that sold material and I was looking for lining material and zippers but couldn't find any. I'll have to get better instructions from my instructor tomorrow. Instead I found a street that went for about 500m with shop after shop of wholesale fashion on both sides. Some shops didn't do retail but some had racks of clothing going for HK$10 ($A1.70), $20 and $30. I bought a quite a brand new sleeveless dotted top - for the bargain price of A$3.40! I mean where else in the world can you find that?
I also found a row of shops that sells lion dancing stuff! Gongs, drums, lions and even the fancy pants the lion dancers wear.
Then I explored the back streets and I found TOY wholesalers and more importantly - Studio Ghibli merchandise going for peanuts. I don't know why, but I bought 4 hairclips with Totoro characters on them because you get 4 for $20 as opposed to 1 for $8! I was also tempted to buy a catbus tissue box holder and toilet roll holder and until remembered my purpose for being there. I vowed I would return for paper lanterns when the mid-Autumn festivus swings around next month. You get 6 for HK$6.90!
I think I'm starting to sound like Tim Shaw! Bulk buying is a disease and finding a bargain is like finding a piece a gold. It makes you want to find more bargains and there is a voice in your head that turns you into a bargaining automaton. I know I can find something good for five bucks!
There is a street called Apliu Street and the stall that drew the biggest crowd was one selling fake machine guns. People are selling second hand phones, PSPs, old radios and stereos etc. I'm looking to buy a second-hand tailor's mannequin.
I had cheese fondue for dinner this evening and feel quite cheesed out. I didn't think it would be possible but I'll recover by tomorrow.
3 comments:
I'm amazed that even you, the great cheese lover herself can get cheesed out. And neko-bus tissue holder? God I can't wait to go to Hong Kong.
Oh yeah, and the decision's been made. Thanks for the advice, you are the greaterest!
*Applause and star jumps for 133*
Giving advice is easy but it's the decision making that's the hardest.
=D
Post a Comment