They are shutting down the Central ferry pier in Hong Kong, which has been in operation since the 1920's. I might catch the ferry to work tomorrow morning for the bargain price of HK$2.20. This also coincides with my last day of work. I have marked on my calendar at work "Free at last!" Just finished proofreading my final issue for November. I don't know whether to change the closing to my Editor's Letter from "it's been a pleasant experience" to "it's been a hell of an experience, but it definitely was not an enjoyable experience!" I think the CEO would spit blood. But what can they do? Fire me? I might go with "interesting" - it leaves people guessing.
they slither while they pass they slip away across the universe...
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Central Star Ferry Pier
They are shutting down the Central ferry pier in Hong Kong, which has been in operation since the 1920's. I might catch the ferry to work tomorrow morning for the bargain price of HK$2.20. This also coincides with my last day of work. I have marked on my calendar at work "Free at last!" Just finished proofreading my final issue for November. I don't know whether to change the closing to my Editor's Letter from "it's been a pleasant experience" to "it's been a hell of an experience, but it definitely was not an enjoyable experience!" I think the CEO would spit blood. But what can they do? Fire me? I might go with "interesting" - it leaves people guessing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hi w-ko,
i've been reading your blog for awhile and this is my 1st time posting here.
i was in hong kong for less than a day in 2002 and was advised by the locals that one of the great ways to see hong kong is to take the ferry ride. so off i went and loved the view so much, i couldn't stop snapping pictures. i was and am still amazed by how affordable this mode of transport costs, not mentioning what an enjoyable ride it may be for the daily commuters (as compared to taking the train back and fro to kowloon?). im glad i had the chance to revisit the pier again in 2003.
it's really a pity that it is going to be shut down.
FCUK! how can they pull it down and put that post-modern crap in its place? There really is no room for nostagia in HK.
Greets w-ko blog reader, good to hear from you. You have been reading! I always feel honoured when people read my blog.
I know! It's one of the most relaxing things you can do - going on the ferry from Kowloon to Central (or vice-versa). Unfortunately, I'm always in a rush so most of my journey takes place underground. My other favourite mode of transport here are the trams. Also, cheap as a stick of fish balls and the sights, sounds and smells from the top deck are great.
And the irony is they think the new building brings back nostalgia!
Post a Comment