
The office manager's daughter was instructed by her mother to make a farewell card for me. It's a huge face (looking a lot like earth) with streams of tears running down its face holding a red handkerchief. I dig personolised cards. I must bring out the thought of creativity in people. Either that or they spent all the money on my gifts (I requested either one of Michael Palin's Sahara or Himalaya travelogues and actually bought me both!). I do prefer having cards made for me. I once had a card (big piece of wrapping paper that everyone had signed) that was folded into an origami paper crane.
Inside the "earth" card, there are standard messages of good wishes and keeping in touch. Now I've had my fair share of goodbyes and goodluck over the years, but this was the first time that I actually didn't feel sad about leaving. In fact, it was totally the opposite. Would it have been rude to do star jumps around the office after my November issue went to press and I'd cleared my desk?
I guess it had to do with the new editor coming in. This might sound a bit mean but all I could think of was sucked-in! I'd prepared two comprehensive documents for her to digest. One was about 12 pages and the other 14 pages. I'd walked her through the first one almost losing my voice about being the Editor. Then I mentioned to her about the legal directory, which she will be responsible for producing before the end of March. The shock on her face!
"You mean I have to do other work on top of the law journal?"
Ooops! Well, someone obvsiously ommitted telling the new hire important information during the hiring process. I can guess why this wasn't mentioned for fear of scaring the daylights out of her and never to return.
Then she asked me point blank - So what hours do you work? Standard 9-6pm?
I said, "To be honest (and because I know she has a young child), for the first three months I worked pretty much seven days a week and on the weekdays I worked from 9am to 10-11pm." *silence* I could feel the enthusiasm waning.
"But anyway, let's get on with this because we have a lot to get through this before your welcome and my farewell lunch."
On the way back from lunch I overheard a discussion between the new hire and my former manager.
New editor: "So I understand that I have to do another publication other than the law journal?"
Manager: "Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, it's our annual legal directory - [w-ko] had to do it with even less time when she first started. She did it and so you'll be able to do it as well!"
Well, I don't have a four-year old daughter or a husband I may rather be spending time with.
My biggest gripe (and not to mention my first impression) I had with my former manager - she never told you what you needed to know until it was too late!
After lunch, I told the new editor to come back to the office with me because I'd left a copy of an email on the printer outlining what she had to do when she starts next week. I wrote 12 detailed points of things to do. I handed her the email, shook her hand and said, "Welcome to the company and congratulations on your new position!"
I only have one regret and that was not being able to stay another month to publish the final issue of 2006, but priorities are priorities. I'll just have to make do with nine copies of China Law & Practice on my bookshelf instead of 10. At least I've achieved my goal of having something published many times over - although it is not the subject matter of my choice. There is still the elusive book about egg tarts I have yet to write lurking around the corner.
4 comments:
wah, that was like the Devil wears Prada, but good!
That's pretty much how I felt when I left Shizuoka. I was just glad to get out of there by the end. Sad to leave behind a few new friends but definitely not the heart-wrenching stuff it was when I left Wakayama years earlier.
Maybe you just get better at leaving places after the first few times.
dude, you felt like you had egg tart coming out of your nose yesteray didn't you?
who is this anonymous person? And man, I'm bummed about leaving... wish I didn't have to and I know I'm going to cry... for the first time in my life, I am crushed to leave a job... usually its just a 'bye' if I even make bit to the end of my shift on the last day... well done, Wilda-Chan!
Post a Comment