Saturday, December 30, 2006

Gallery of Modern Art

I visited the brand new Gallery of Modern Art (Goma) in Brisbane and spent three and a half hours admiring what is art and what is considered "art". I know it's purely subjective but explain to me a rectangular grey box in the middle of a blank canvas. Why did I spend all those years at university if Queensland's Goma will pay good money for a rectangular grey box?


Brilliant works of art were Yoo Seung-ho’s ‘calligrammes’ where on on first glance it looks like you are looking at a traditional Korean landscape painting, but on closer inspection brushstrokes appear as thousands of tiny, grain-size Hangul (traditional script of Korea).



Also impressive was a dark room filled with coloured spheres dangling from the ceiling under neon lighting. The water on the floor and mirrors on the wall created an illussion as if you were floating in space. The display is called Soul by Yayoi Kusama. She is way cool.




Every time I go to a gallery I get the urge to pick up my pencils and sketch block again. There is creativity vibe oozing out like an adolescent's zit waiting to explode. My friend Megs and I lined up along with the rest of the kids to take a photos of ourselves balancing a bus on our head/finger. I don't think the kids believed were were actually lining up to take a photo because no other adults were. Megs said it was okay cause we're young at heart! I won't post it up on my blog. I'm saving it as a season's greeting for 2007.


This evening I also had a mini reunion with friends who I haven't seen for ages - people I hung around with lots before I moved to Sydney. Everyone took their cameras out and the paparazzi was going crazy. We also did a timed shot so everyone could get in the picture. Actually, there were about five cameras sitting on top of the television and we were setting them off and running back to the couch. It was kind of the like the opening sequence of The Simpsons when you have five seconds to scramble for a seat on the couch. I will upload it when I have adequate computer technology.



Can you believe it's the last day of 2006 tomorrow? This year has flown by so fast. We are celebrating New Year's countdown at 9pm (New Zealand time) at a party tomorrow night. It's not because we don't have daylight saving but it's on the account of a friend who is not well and he may not last the distance in terms of energy level till midnight. Any new year's resolutions? Mine is whatever I use to do in the past- I'm going to do the the total opposite.



Highlights

  • Seeing one of my best mates who is fighting for his life
  • Finally working out what I would like to do and doing something about it
  • Getting a job as an editor of my own publication
  • Gained a nephew and a niece


Lowlights

  • Being told one of my best mates had not long to live
  • Working for a crap company and an even crappier manager
  • Losing the $33 million Gold Lotto draw tonight
  • Misc. unresolved matters that I may leave unresolved (because I'm doing the total opposite of what I usually do)


This will be my last blog of 2006. Have a happy new year!

No comments: