I got an email from the translator who I use to work with and she advised me that the editor who took my place (and who I spent three hours training on my last day on press day) has resigned. Surprise surprise. It seems only one issue was enough to kill her off. I wonder if the managing editor had anything to do with it or that the first three months on the job and having no life was just too daunting. All I can say is - I know it wasn't me who had issues. Am I gloating? Smugs. I didn't mean to.
So the translator has asked me if I could go back as a freelancer charging time and a half/hour for what I use to get paid to work on their February issue until they find a replacement. I thought about it for a good 60 seconds. I don't think so. Life is not all about money.
Attachments
This afternoon I taught my mother (aged 58) how to scan documents and then attach them to an email. My mother taught me how to drive and she still does it in that annoying backseat manner, even though I've had my licence for a decade. Now the tables have turned and you can't blame me for having a bit of fun instructing on mouse usage.
"Pointer. Middle finger." (Holding up the mouse) "You have to click in the box! No no that's outside the box. Again"
"Are you writing this down?"
"Okay do it again and show me you can cut and paste."
"Good."
I've found it less frustrating to teach a parent if I treat them like one of my students. Although it's hard to see them as your student because my students don't comment on my driving or any aspect of my life for that matter. Next lesson. DVD burning.
Orbituary

To the man who gave us the Flintstones and Scooby Doo - Joseph Barbera (1911-2006) may you always laugh like Muttley for an eternity wherever you are.

To the man who gave us the Flintstones and Scooby Doo - Joseph Barbera (1911-2006) may you always laugh like Muttley for an eternity wherever you are.
2 comments:
That's funny about your mum. I have all the patience in the world when it comes to my students but absolutely none when it comes to teaching my mother computer stuff. She refuses to listen and freaks out everytime something unexpected happens. Now I thrive on the unexpected so dealing with her takes me waaaaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone. End mummy rant.
Nailed it on the head. Parents have a disability when it comes to listening to their kids give instructions or even advice. I think it messes with their minds - The left brain is probably thinking this is educational and I can learn something; while the right brain is saying- I don't have to take this crap from someone for and carried for nine months and endless sleepless nights for months.
If I don't blog anymore after the DVD burning lesson- you'll know why. News headline: MOTHER STABS DAUGHTER WITH BROKEN DVD disc
Post a Comment