Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Smiling David

Miss Fliss - artiste, enologist, fellow foodie and a dear friend of mine - sketched this life drawing of David on site in Florence during a recent trip to Italy. Isn't it fabulous? It's a blend of classical art with pop art. I mean, who needs a chiseled head when you have a body like that? Michelangelo's David is more pretty boy than handsome - not exactly my type.

I can't wait to get my shipment of goods. My armature, aptly named "Cupcake" is in there. I believe I was working on a coffee table book called the many poses of Cupcake about three years ago. It will be published one day.

Academics
Is it fair to say that academics are more egotistical than lawyers?
Now why is that? I'm thinking back to my law school days and yes I can say my contract law lecturer definitely thought she was better than the inventor of cup noodles.

[Speaking of noodles, I consumed my cheese curry Cup Noodles. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese-styled curries so I can't give this flavour the thumbs up. The cheese bits were a bit disappointing as they were quite gluggy in texture. Perhaps I expected too much from freeze-dried cheese?]

Back to my proposition - is it because academics think they know more because they have spent longer in tertiary institutions and have more letters after their names and are regarded as experts of a particularly field and all that knowledge has made their heads bigger? Hmmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Academics, lawyers, ESL teachers: I dare you to find a single "profession" where you don't run into to arrogant dweebs. Give someone a title and it's all downhill. I say this as a lecturer, so I must be right. Right?

wai said...

Of course you're right Mr Cardigan-clad lecturer. I had a funny feeling you would be commenting on this one... :P

Anonymous said...

I'm just arrogant enough to be a world authority on the subject. Naturally.