This morning we took a quick tour of all the venues and all the function rooms we'll be using and which ones we need to make bookings for. The University of Hong Kong is built on the side of hill and the buildings are connected by walkways and a shitload of stairs. I don't think I need a bicycle anymore.
After today, I realised the sheer amount of stuff I have to organise in three months is overwhelming. I can't believed I signed up for this job. I think it's the most challenging job I've ever taken on. Did I say that about my last job? Maybe the last one prepared me for this one.
It can be done but I'm going to need vast amounts of co-operation from everyone involved. I hate relying on other people. I'll look at it this way- if it's a success I can bask in the glory and be satisfied that it very worthwhile experience. If not, then I should be more careful about the jobs I apply for. I might actually get it.
Also, I'm finally contributing to a worthy cause and something dear to my heart. Wouldn't you agree that indirectly fighting for press freedom in countries like Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia is much more honourable than producing a law journal/legal directory only a handful of people read?
Vomit Extraordinaire
I had to get him dressed (it took three minutes plus an extra minute because he put the wrong shoes on) and drive him to pre-school again this morning (this time by myself). I'm not use to having someone ask me questions for the entire duration of a drive. Towards the end of it, my answers were "Eh" (Think 'No Face' from Spirited Away). The kid was the first in his class to arrive. I don't think that has ever happened before in his entire schooling life thus far. When you're with Aunty Wai it's all about timeliness. If it takes me 15 minutes to get out the door then for a kid who is three and half it should take about five minutes.

In the stationary shop, I overheard this poor kid being scolded by his father because he wanted to buy a pen that costs HK$10 (roughly A$1.65, 65p). "Are you crazy! It's $10!! I guess it's a lot of money to some. If I am ever wealthy enough to engage myself in philanthropic work I'm going to buy school supplies for needy kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment