This afternoon I had lunch with two other people who are the middle child in their family. I don't think I've ever had lunch with two other middle children before. These two people helped out with the 'mingling' with the delegates for the Conference, both being intellectuals. Both are females and one of them is around my age. H was asking me about my background and asked if I was the middle child. Was it that obvious? The fact that I've moved around a lot since moving out of home and have worked in various jobs and not working in the job description that's directly related to my undergrad degree apparently gave it away. I was asked if I was getting worried about not settling down in one place (job wise) for too long and did I ever think that I was getting too old to start over on something new? Not lately. In fact, I have more confidence now than ever before that once something finishes I know I can find something else.
H went from graduating with chemistry degree to studying to get a CPA and now she is doing a stint in reporting for the media centre and has moved back and forth from the UK to Hong Kong. And I thought, oh my god! You too?
There should be a Middle Child Convention where all middle children should meet and share thoughts about being the middle child and our inability to focus and commit to one thing for too long. Now why is that? For me it is boredom and I hate anything that is routine. It also makes me one of the biggest commitment phobes around. It also doesn't help that I value very highly my freedom to do whatever I want and go wherever I want without giving a thought to anyone else. This is a serious character flaw and something that I don't think I am capable of changing. At the moment, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm quite content with my life so I'll continue and just be. Self-evaluation can get very tedious but it must be carried out from time to time.
H went from graduating with chemistry degree to studying to get a CPA and now she is doing a stint in reporting for the media centre and has moved back and forth from the UK to Hong Kong. And I thought, oh my god! You too?
There should be a Middle Child Convention where all middle children should meet and share thoughts about being the middle child and our inability to focus and commit to one thing for too long. Now why is that? For me it is boredom and I hate anything that is routine. It also makes me one of the biggest commitment phobes around. It also doesn't help that I value very highly my freedom to do whatever I want and go wherever I want without giving a thought to anyone else. This is a serious character flaw and something that I don't think I am capable of changing. At the moment, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm quite content with my life so I'll continue and just be. Self-evaluation can get very tedious but it must be carried out from time to time.
6 comments:
It's not that we lack commitment, us middle children; we just need challenges in ways the first born (secure) and youngest (spoilt) don't. Does that sound plausible? Jadd
Hmmm... I think you are right. I do follow through with things as long as it keeps me interested. Then I think my problem is finding something that keeps my interest long enough, where I can make a difference and that is constantly challenging (perhaps even on a daily basis). I'm pondering on what this thing might be.
Add middle child syndrome to all your challenges that you have to overcome!
"Middle children have to try a little harder to “be heard” or get noticed. The middle child usually has to fight harder for the attention of their parents and therefore crave the family spotlight."
ahem
you were only a middle child for 8 years...
wookie: Just because you were born it doesn't change the fact that I'm still a middle child unless the youngest and the eldest kids decide to kick the bucket. Also, if you had been doing your Brain Age, I was middle child out of three kids for 11 years.
No, it's calculated between the time agore was born and I was born which was 8 years.
Because you weren't a middle child yet for the first three years of your life.
so you're really saying that you and agore are sharing the middle child mantle.
Post a Comment