Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Post-mortem

I can barely keep my eyes open, but I made it home in one piece. The Conference was indeed a success as proclaimed by the Vice-Chancellor of The University of Hong Kong and the Chairman of the Hong Kong Bar Association. The Director of the Journalism and Media Studies Centre was proud, Doreen was elated and I was still shell-shocked that we made it through the last three days even with the continuous downpour, broken down air-conditioning and last minute change of venues for lunches.

Apparently, I got a round of applause from all 75 participants in the closing session but I wasn't there to receive it. I'll have to watch the video. I was too busy making sure that the buffet lunch was being prepared in accordance with the menu. At lunch, when Doreen finally found me, she got everyone to give me another round of applause. "Wow! For me!" (as my nephew would say). I didn't know what to do so I clapped back. How embarrassing. It really was a team effort.
I'm keeping the Conference poster as a momento. Also, I've been offered a full-time job as Doreen's research associate because she secured funding from the organisation that funded the conference and they were happy with the outcome as well. So, Conference organiser can be added to my CV. I need to think about what I want to do as my next project.

Too tired right now. It's only 8 and I need to catch up on 4 weeks of sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's no easy feat being a conference organiser but you did it with applause! congrats and well done! good night sleeping beauty!

ninjawookie said...

So are they holding a spot for you after your holidays? Or are you going to look for new work?

wai said...

Thanks!

ninj: I guess you can say they are holding a spot for me but it's a question of whether I want the spot.