Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival

Today was a public holiday. I have no idea why they decided to have a day in lieu of the Mid-Autumn festival, which was only yesterday. Maybe it had to do with the stock market or something? The Hang Seng index has been going up rather dramatically over the last week. It's insane. Generally, everyone is in a good mood. I've never witnessed a local person offering a seat to someone else on the train other than myself and guess what I saw a couple of days ago? Pigs do fly when the stock market is buoyant!

Most Hong Kongers hold stocks rather than have a superannuation scheme for retirement. People here think they can better manage their own retirement fund rather than have a government legislate about what your employer should set aside for your old age. Fair enough!

Everyone left work early on Tuesday afternoon to make it back home for the family meal together. My evening class was cancelled by the admin staff because they wanted to be home for dinner and they were sure that the students would be cancelling anyway. A lot of eating has taken place over the last couple of days. As always, my father cooked enough to feed an entire village of people. My sister-in-law brought over durian mooncake (imported from her native Singapore). Yes, there is such a thing. It came in a tinned, sealed box and each mooncake was individually wrapped in plastic and yet, the odour was able to penetrate all layers and make it out into the open air. I still smell nothing but bad socks.

We have another public holiday on Monday. It's China's National Day. I really do wonder if most Hong Kongers know the words to the Chinese national anthem. I'm sure to this day, most people know the words to God Save the Queen. There will be fireworks.

Picky Hong Kong women
This has been a hot topic of late and confirmed by my cousin who I recently had dinner with. It's hard for Hong Kong women between the ages of 25-44 to find a partner. The headline screaming: "Hong Kong women are lonelier and lonelier" is a bit of a worry. Why is this so? HK men claim that HK women generally want to find a partner who is rich and successful or at least earning more than they are. They also think HK women are very demanding. My cousin went so far as saying that if a woman is earning more than a guy, the guy will be under a lot of stress and pressure to better himself, so as not to 'lose face'. She also said that if a guy finds out that his partner is earning more than he does, it's more likely that the relationship would end in a break-up. So, in other words, does that mean HK men are patriarchal uneducated losers?

Well, let's put it this way, if they are looking across the border to find mainland wives because they are more submissive and will worship the ground they walk on, they can't be all that stupid. For a guy who is well-educated and earning a good income, women will be throwing themselves at him and it'll only be a matter for him to choose the one with the best figure.

If I was a man, I honestly can't see a problem with having a female partner who makes more money than I do. Isn't it every man's dream to be a house husband who works from and looks after the kids? Well, at least I thought so according to some of my male friends I know. As VE would say, it's all about caring and sharing! Even a four year old knows that.

And just because I'm now living in Hong Kong and female, it doesn't make me picky. I just haven't gotten to know (I really can't say I haven't met because most of my male friends have some of these qualities) anyone who is genuinely nice, generous and who has the ability to make me laugh; not take me for granted and who shares the same non-existent religious views as me yet. Might I also add someone who will never ever vote for the Australian Liberal party? See! Not picky at all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

my male friends and i were broaching on the subject of singapore women today. we're regarded as materialistic, demanding and not domesticated enough; they feel more men are doing the cooking, household chores and taking care of the kids in the family. i suppose the only good thing about us is we're financially independent. they have no problem with their gfs being more capable than them (or even becoming house husbands) except chances are women like that are more controlling and domineering in the relationship. guess we are in the same boat as hong kong women.

Anonymous said...

was that snowskin durian mooncakes that your sis-in-law bought? my caucasian colleagues absolutely abhor the smell; they think it's worse than their own farts. guess you either like the king of fruits or you don't. it's amazing how mooncakes have evolved thru' times (or mayb i haven't been paying much attention, it has always been different) - there are so many varieties (champagne, chocolate, cappucino, ice cream etc), the packaging is so exquisite and innovative nowadays, not to mention the price, so expensive. even starbucks and mcdonalds (can you believe it??!)sell mooncakes now. btw have you tried durian puffs? delicious.....
do you celebrate hungry ghost festival in hk?

Anonymous said...

you should put an ad in the classified just fot kicks

wai said...

Ha! "Not domesticated enough". What are we pets?

Indeed, they are snowkin durian mooncakes. Apparently, your very own Raffles Hotel in Singapore is the originator of the modern snow-skinned mooncake (back in 1994) with different flavours.

Nope, I haven't tried the durian puff. I can't say I'm a fan of durian-related products.
When is the hungry ghost festival? If it's got to do with ghosts and food I'm sure we do celebrate it but maybe we call is something else?

Anonymous said...

House-husbandry gets my vote.
I've long accepted that I'm likely to be the cook in any relationship I enter into, which is a scary thought.

Btw, after only two entries my new blog has violated the terms and conditions of Blogger. I did read through them again just now and can't work out where I went wrong. Perhaps advising governments on prostitution policy is ill-advised...

133

wai said...

133: Are you serious! What country's government are we talking about? I'm going to have a read of the terms and conditions because I haven't got a clue what you can and can't write about.

wai said...

As far as Blogger's terms of service are concerned you should be able to give commentary/own opinion on politics and for that matter on government policies. In fact, freedom of expression is encouraged.
I can't seen how it would even fit under the 'hateful content' heading unless you have made some kind of threats against the government. I think you should write to Blogger and ask them to "Please explain?".

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking maybe it's because I have "promoted" an illegal activity. I didn't promote anything just suggested that seeing as how it was happening that the government should at least make some money by taxing the workers.

I may go back to LJ...

Anonymous said...

hungry ghost festival falls during the seventh month and if im not wrong, it is called yue laan in hk...yes it involves ghost roaming around the earth for one lunar month, lotsa food, burning paper money and offerings to the restless spirits.


we're not "domesticated" enough cos many singapore girls either don't know how to cook or don't cook. i forgot to mention that we have been told we've bad temper too.

wai said...

133: I think you should go back to LJ.

SL: I must've missed out on the ghost festival this year because I was in Spain.

As for having bad temperament, could it be that because Singaporean men are not getting their own way and hence if a female disagrees with them then that is an indication of having a bad temper! This is all getting a bit ridiculous and rather comical. I read in the paper today that there are actual forums online where there are slaying matches between the two sexes in Hong Kong about this very topic we have discussed.