Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The pink bunny turns red

Most of my readers are either former Nova employees or still working for the yellow-beaked bunny. One of my readers is still a student there. BB, a former Nova employee (still residing in Japan) asked if I'd heard about the downward spiral of the Nova. I decided to investigate some more.

I found this article: Is Nova as good as dead? dated 22 Aug 2007. It basically talks about the cash-flow problems the company is facing and the ban that was slapped on the company from effecting contracts longer than one year. To give you a rough idea of the financial situation two years' ago their share price was 200 yen, in 2007 it's about 45 yen. Apparently, the staff didn't get paid on time and they barely made payment to instructors for August. The staff already had to put up with so much shit and now this!

You can read more about Nova's dire circumstances in Wiki's write-up.

So, have people started looking for new jobs or in the process of shipping their stuff home?

I also came across this Nova ad which was quite entertaining:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it true that you don't get sick leave?

wai said...

I'm pretty sure they allowed sick leave. But I don't think I ever needed to take it. I'm not sure about the Japanese staff working there though. I know one Japanese staff member rocked up to work with a fever and she still soldiered on. I guess for them, if you're not on your death bed with a tube dangling from your wrist then you are not classed as "sick".

Fuz said...

No sick leave. None. I was sick and I never got paid for it. Love the ad... and yeah, am I glad I don't work for them anymore... had to buy pens and rubbish bags for my school when I was AT cos they wouldn't...

wai said...

Oh well, if we're talking about paid sick leave then that's another story.
Really! Did you ask to be reimbursed? I remember Erin use to buy stuff from Muji to make the classroom look neater. I wonder if she ever got money back? Hmm..