To celebrate my return to the classroom, I've dug deep into my treasure trove of sent emails to retrieve some classic Yes Sensei! moments I had whilst in Japan.
T: how are you today?
S: well done!
T: [thinking to myself, should i correct her or not? at the same time, i wouldn't mind a piece of steak right now and also trying hard not to laugh. when i told the other teachers about this after the lesson, i said, she didn't want to be turned over. this was followed by a roar of laughter. i do my best to entertain.]
T: what do you like?
S: i am a tomato!
Wrote my first kids log book incident last week and it went a little something like this:
Y-kid had been sharpening pencils at both ends during the lesson and then stabbing the other students with the pointy ends of the pencil. I told Y-kid to put the pencils away and told him that it was dangerous.
he gave me this look and put the pencils away. later when we were doing the activity sheets he brought his pencils out again and as he was running around the room he accidentally stabbed K-kid in the arm with it lodging a piece of lead in her arm. to my surprise K-kid did not cry and showed her arm to be saying “itai” (it hurts). then she proudly displayed the lodgment of the lead to the other student.
meanwhile, Y-kid had the most “I know I did something wrong please don’t tell mum look on his face” and I said to him to say sorry to K-kid.
he did so and quickly put all his pencils back in his pencil case and felt really sorry for the rest of the lesson. K-kid showed the lead to the
japanese staff downstairs and I explained what happened. on the way back to the classroom I bumped into K-kid’s father and explained you will find your daughter with lead in her arm but she is ok!
3 comments:
will it turn into Yes Lo-Si?
It's always the ones you least suspect that turn out to be the toughnuts.
Btw, my vote is in for the return of Yes Sensei. Or Lo-Si. Or Laoshi. Whatever it needs to be.
It will be Yes Lo-Si!, seeing as I'm in another country and there has to be a volume 2 to follow up Yes Sensei!.
Post a Comment