Monday, October 01, 2007

The ship is sinking... fast

To follow up on my previous post about Nova's financial situation - People being kicked out of apartments because the rent hasn't been paid and in Shizuoka of all places! It's the last hurrah for some. You really have to feel sorry for the poor bastards.

Brisbane's Courier Mail, where Nova has an office reported this today. Note, they are still recruiting teachers from Australia despite all of this. That's great! Imagine if you arrive and you don't have a place to live? Unless of course they just wanted the one-year sponsored work visa. Hmm...

The CEO sent out a memo that a friend of mine, still a Nova teacher (until the end of this week) mentioned. It talks about dark clouds and the first light of dawn. I don't know about you, but if the CEO I work for starts hallucinating about the weather conditions you know it's time to jump ship.

Most teachers are waiting for the company to declare bankruptcy. However, unless the Japanese have laws that protect employees' wages from it's creditors then I think they will be waiting at the end of the queue.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It boggles the mind that a business with such culturally ingrained brand name recognition could fuck up this badly. The place was a license to print money, had a 50/50 ratio of good to bad teachers (I'm trying to be generous to all the holidayers - I was one once), and made significant money not only from its students but even from its own employes in the form of rent.

I feel sorry for anyone who went over in the past year or so. My experiences with NOVA were always fairly reasonable but my exit was to do with the work I was doing not the company.

All this says is that the market will be flooded in the short-term in other Asian countries. I just pity any of them that think Korea is a great idea because the money is similar. Despite this fiasco with NOVA, Japan at least has some form of regulations regarding foreign 'experts'. Countries like Korea and China operate with a much more frontier-like status. You will get no support from the government or the law and the language barrier (for many of us) is much greater.

Sigh... I miss Japan. Pity there are no good jobs for teachers there. And yes, I make a big distinction between pay/benefits and what I regard as a good job.

ninjawookie said...

Nova is run by the Yakuza.
Any truth to this?

Fuz said...

apparently if you were there for at least 6 months the government will provide some kind of unemployment payment...

wai said...

If it was run by the yakuza, I don't think it'll be facing bankruptcy. The company would be managed much better!
If they have an auction of Nova memorabilia at the insolvency sale, I want the drinks machine. I wonder where I can get my hands on some pink bunnies? They could be collector's items one day in the not too distant future.

Fuz: Has where you work received floods of applications for jobs?

I miss Japan too. I hope everyone we know who is still there has enough in the kitty to make it back home or until they find another job.

Fuz said...

Nah, our place is too wee - only four teachers, and we are not advertising at the mo. But people are hunting, some are leaving, its all change. Makes you really analyse your work and lack of security. Bet all the jobs now will be hard fought for.

usotski said...

Nova has some links to the big ready loan service, which was verifiably run by the yakuza. Or so my sisters brother's cousin told me. What was the name of that loan place, anywway? One Loan? Something like that?

ninjawookie said...

I heard it from a friends sister who worked at nova too.
+ I think my japanese teacher from high school mentioned something about it.

ENglish Schools I guess area good way of washing money.