I had to walk through a maze of barriers to actually purchase my ticket and then ambulate to the great hall via escalators, fire stairs and the lobby with every second person treading on my heels. Once I arrived at the entrance, I grabbed a map and found Page One - the best English bookshop in Hong Kong.
20% OFF all books! I think I must have died and gone to book heaven. There was potential that I could go bankrupt in here but I made myself a promise that I would not purchase any books weighing over a kilo.
After sorting through piles of books and nudging people as I moved from shelf to shelf, I decided on The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar and two books by Andy Riley of the famed Bunny Suicide books - Lies to tell smlle kids and Loads more lies to tell small kids. I found myself laughing out aloud and people around me were giving me funny looks so I decided to buy them. I'll be testing these lies on my nephew on the weekend:

Later, HL and I went looking for Dymocks who also had a stall at the fair. Then, I spotted this kid with glasses who was reading Asterix in Belgium with a Dymocks price tag on it. He seemed to be heavily engrossed in the little village we know so well. I looked at my sister-in-law. Should I ask him?
"Hey, little boy!" There was no response.
"Hey, little boy!" Silence.
"Hey, little boy!" Madly waving my hand and almost hitting his nose.
"Uh?"
"Where did you buy that book from?"
Then he turns around and points at the wall he was leaning against. I poke my head around the corner and there was Dymocks. I think I went insane. 20% off on all books PLUS buy two get one free!
Final sale
Why do the words "Final Sale" have such a sense of well- finality about them especially when you are being told by a salesperson - They are the last pair - in that style and in that size.
Well, you know that the shoes are not going to get any cheaper and if you don't buy them it'll be your loss and you may never ever see them again. I know if I saw someone on the street wearing them I'll be thinking nice shoes and how my life might have changed had I bought them. Other arguments - it's summer and really really hot and my feet get sweaty and therefore I need to wear sandals to let my feet breathe. I don't own a pair of yellow shoes.
I know I don't need another pair of shoes but they were so comfortable and they looked so good. The smell of the leather was just so nice and 40% off. I now own another pair of Campers in banana.
Indeed, I have a sickness. I've decided I'm not buying another pair of shoes for the rest of the year unless these black sequined ballet flats I have been eyeing go on sale before winter.
I was suppose to start writing my essay about learning English for the Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians' journal today but instead I went to buy books and shoes. Now, I'm planning to read the books I bought. AaayyyYaaaahhhh!
It's only Friday. I still have Saturday and Sunday.
20% OFF all books! I think I must have died and gone to book heaven. There was potential that I could go bankrupt in here but I made myself a promise that I would not purchase any books weighing over a kilo.
After sorting through piles of books and nudging people as I moved from shelf to shelf, I decided on The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar and two books by Andy Riley of the famed Bunny Suicide books - Lies to tell smlle kids and Loads more lies to tell small kids. I found myself laughing out aloud and people around me were giving me funny looks so I decided to buy them. I'll be testing these lies on my nephew on the weekend:
- "Your dad's got one nipple and two belly buttons."
- "French people eat croissant and poo baguettes."
- "If you rub two red-headed kids together you can make fire."
Later, HL and I went looking for Dymocks who also had a stall at the fair. Then, I spotted this kid with glasses who was reading Asterix in Belgium with a Dymocks price tag on it. He seemed to be heavily engrossed in the little village we know so well. I looked at my sister-in-law. Should I ask him?
"Hey, little boy!" There was no response.
"Hey, little boy!" Silence.
"Hey, little boy!" Madly waving my hand and almost hitting his nose.
"Uh?"
"Where did you buy that book from?"
Then he turns around and points at the wall he was leaning against. I poke my head around the corner and there was Dymocks. I think I went insane. 20% off on all books PLUS buy two get one free!
Final sale
Why do the words "Final Sale" have such a sense of well- finality about them especially when you are being told by a salesperson - They are the last pair - in that style and in that size.
Well, you know that the shoes are not going to get any cheaper and if you don't buy them it'll be your loss and you may never ever see them again. I know if I saw someone on the street wearing them I'll be thinking nice shoes and how my life might have changed had I bought them. Other arguments - it's summer and really really hot and my feet get sweaty and therefore I need to wear sandals to let my feet breathe. I don't own a pair of yellow shoes.
I know I don't need another pair of shoes but they were so comfortable and they looked so good. The smell of the leather was just so nice and 40% off. I now own another pair of Campers in banana.
Indeed, I have a sickness. I've decided I'm not buying another pair of shoes for the rest of the year unless these black sequined ballet flats I have been eyeing go on sale before winter.
I was suppose to start writing my essay about learning English for the Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians' journal today but instead I went to buy books and shoes. Now, I'm planning to read the books I bought. AaayyyYaaaahhhh!
It's only Friday. I still have Saturday and Sunday.
4 comments:
interviewing the bangles on thursday!
Really! Can you get me Susannah Hoff's autograph? Tell her I owned "Eternal Flame" on an LP single.
I'm interviewing vicky over the phone, so no.
If you have a question for her i'll see if i can ask it for you.
Will the Bangles ever collaborate with Prince again?
Post a Comment