Saturday, July 12, 2008

Quality before quantity

I've deleted two people already from facebook who were once my "friends". It's not because I don't want to be friends with them it's just that I'm limiting myself to 100 friends. I think some people in my 100 list at the moment are merely acquaintances. I haven't nearly spent enough time with them to call them my friend. Soon enough they will be weeded out because I'm putting quality before quantity. Is a friend of a friend of a friend who you get introduced to and then never hears from again your friend?

There are also people who have just added me and not even left me a message. How rude is that! Don't you feel used when that happens. There is no way they are going to use me to add to their friends tally.

How can anyone be "friends" with say over 300 people? Think about it.

Where do you draw the line when adding relatives. I've added my mother but she never logs on.
She'll be next on my list to be deleted. I've just deleted my sister-in-law's nephew whom I've met maybe twice in my life. Plus, I'm deleting anyone who is under the age of 18. I don't want to be accused of any wrong doing.

Anyone who hasn't communicated with me in the last six months will also be deleted. The justification is - if they haven't spoken to me, I won't be missed.

My students are a tough call to make. I have spent many hours with them and have gotten to know them well but I think the six months rule will apply to them.

With age, I will increase my quota by 5 every year. I'm optimistic that I will meet at least 5 new people who will accept the freak that I am.

For my friends out there who remain on my list - let it be known that you are valued.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just thought i checked whether you've updated your blog and your latest post caused me to panic. i logged onto fb straight after to check whether im still on the '100-friend list'. whew!

wai said...

I'm sorry SL. I didn't mean to cause you to panic. I will never remove you. I communicate with you more than I communicate with my best friend in Australia at the moment! And I'm sure we will meet one day.
When are you off to Cambodia?

Anonymous said...

thx (!!) wilda for the re-assurance. i do hope we'll meet one day. i've just returned from cambodia on thursday and have fallen sick during the trip. sux. still recovering from cough /cold and trying to upload the photos now. i've seen your holiday pics taken in vietnam and laos - they're great!!

Jojo said...

Hi Wilda

I did the same as SL. By the way your current photo looks very cool.

cheers

JoJo

wai said...

Really Jojo? You of all people. You realise you'll be one of the people reading a eulogy at my funeral after they bury me in my eco-pod and put me in an acorn-shaped urn.

Anonymous said...

Whereas I didn't even think to check, secure in the warm glow of love I feel emanating from HKG every day. That's you, right?

Also, thought this might be relevant: http://www.slate.com/id/2174439/

wai said...

Yes that's me. Is my beam strong enough for you?

Thanks for the link. I knew there were other purgers out there.
I particularly liked:

"You've suffered a humiliating rejection at the hands of _________."

150 is the absolute maximum. Hmm... How many do you have at the moment?

Anonymous said...

The beam is strong, sure, but the aim can be a little off. I was sitting on the train next to a beaming pilgrim this evening, and since there is no god, I suspect he intercepted the love.

Work harder.

Also, I have a lean, mean 75. And I cut one person per week. It's like survivor, only more hermity.

Jojo said...

Aw shucks, of course I will! But try to stay our of the acorn urn for a long long time...

wai said...

Did you give the pilgrim my contact details?

Yes, yes, I'll try harder. I've set my co-ordinates aimed towards... Actually, where are you now?

How about a wai-love signal like the bat one? I have a lotta love to give to all except to the people I reject on facebook.