Sunday, October 05, 2008

Postcard from Lamma - Waffles Lady

The "Gai Daan Tsai" (雞蛋仔, Little Eggs) lady, affectionately known as the Waffles lady is around the corner and down the road from I live. I've wandered down in my bed clothes (just because you can on Lamma and no one cares) and purchased from her 2-3 times on the weekend and always ordering the same thing - waffles with peanut butter, butter and sweetened condensed milk, which is number one from her menu. Both times my waffles have been soggy because they have been sitting there waiting for the next customer. I wonder if it's possible to make a request for a fresh one? Would that be too demanding? Again, I wouldn't want to be blacklisted because she has a monopoly over waffles on the island.

I've yet to buy the waffles in the "little egg" format purely because of this very reason that they are not made fresh. The perfect gai daan tsai should be made fresh - cripsy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside and scolding hot. I can't see these ones being crispy on the outside. She also makes takoyaki (octopus balls) on the side. I've yet to branch out to try those because they look very heavy.

For $HK10 you can buy a waffle or gai daan tsais. Although, I can remember the days when gai darn tsais were $3. They were my favourite street snack when I was under a metre tall. Now, it's hard to find a place that does them well. There is one next to the Wan Chai computer centre that does it well but there is always a line. You have not experienced Hong Kong unless you have eaten these small balls of flour, milk, sugar and egg mixture.

2 comments:

ninjawookie said...

haha your blog constipation is over

wai said...

oh give me a break! I was never constipated the photography just took over. by the way, are you interested in buying my D60? I'm selling the body only and you already have lens... I'll even let you pay me in instalments.